Laying aside the high cost of installation, there are some real benefits to having an artificial grass lawn instead of a natural grass lawn. Here’s a table to compare the top pros and cons of artificial grass. There are many reasons why the artificial grass industry keeps growing year over year!
The average home saves over 50 gallons of water per year for every square foot of artificial grass installed. In many drought-prone areas, water companies often ban tradiational watering of home lawn’s, and offer a cash rebate up to $1 per square foot.
|Nearly maintenance free||High installation cost|
|Almost pest free||High cost to replace|
|No watering, mowing, or lawn maintenance||Can absorb heat in high summer temperatures|
|Can increase the value of a home when used in a well-designed landscape||With cheaper brands, turf sometimes doesn’t feel like real grass underfoot|
|Resists stains from salt water and chlorinated pools||Could experience fading if placed near windows|
Why Homeowners Install Artificial Grass
- There are fewer yearly costs related to yard care, as artificial grass does not require mowing, seeding, fertilizing, or watering.
- Very little to no maintenance is needed to keep an artificial lawn looking new. Set it (or, Install it) and forget it.
- Not many pests care to live in fake grass. Does your lawn suffer from the Chafer beetle?
- There’s no need to mow, saving time and the cost of a lawnmower.
- Without the need to water, you’ll save good money on your water bill.
- It’s not affected by drought.
- Today’s artificial grass is a much better quality than in past years; Bella Turf offers the most realistic looking artificial grass lawns.
- It cleans up easily with a spray of water from the hose.
- Foam underlayment creates a soft ground for children.
- According to the Synthetic Turf Council, the rubber in some artificial turf infill keeps 20 million tires out of landfills each year.
Common Disadvantages of Artificial Grass
- The initial cost of installing is high compared to laying sod in your lawn.
- Real grass lawns stay “cool”, while artificial grass can absorb heat and gets hotter in the summer months; unless the proper cooling infill is used, such as PureZEO Pro Artificial Turf Infill from Bella Turf.
- Depending on the quality you purchase, you could experience problems with fading or wear patterns in the fabric. However, Bella Turf Artificial Grass comes with a 10 year landscape grass warranty.
- Some cheaper artificial grass brands look fake.
- Synthetic grass cannot be recycled.
- Some homeowners’ associations and city municipalities have a ban on fake grass.
- It can’t easily absorb and break down pet urine. With artificial grass and pets, you must use a turf deodorizer, such as Bella Turf’s very own product: Turf Renew.
- You still have to blow off debris and leaves, and hose off any pet waste. View our Artificial Grass Maintenance Guide.
The time savings and added enjoyment from your care-free lawn might just earn you that extra time with the family you’ve been missing out on.
If you have any further questions about artificial grass, leave us a message and we’d be happy to help out.